- Kurigohan-Japanese Chestnut Rice
Kurigohan-Japanese Chestnut Rice
With Zojirushi 3 Cup NL-BAC05 Rice Cooker or any 3 Cup rice cookers, you can enjoy the rice with seasonal ingredients. Krigohan (Japanese Chestnut Rice) is the most favoable menu in this autumn season! The kuri adds a hint of sweet taste to the rice, and its bright yellow color makes a beautiful presentation that reminds us of fall.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
for 3 cup Zojirushi Rice Cookers
- 125g (about 5-6) raw chestnuts in their shell
- 1.5 cups (rice measuring cup) short or medium grain white rice
- Water to fill to water level 1.5 for white rice
- 1 tsp. mirin (Japanese sweet sake)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
1. Soak the chestnuts in hot water for 30 minutes. Use a knife to make a cut around the chestnut, starting from the bottom, then peel the hard shell and skin.
2. Measure rice accurately and place in inner cooking pan. Rinse rice under water until water clears. Add the mirin and salt, then add water by filling up to the water scale marked “3” for “White Rice” for 5 and 10 cup rice cookers, and up to “1.5” for 3 cup rice cookers.
3. Add the peeled chestnuts from step 1, and mix well. Cook the rice using the “Mixed” setting.
4. When rice completes cooking, open the lid and fluff the rice to loosen and serve.