Our All-natural Ogatan Charcoal Briquettes are made from the sawdust of fruit-trees in Southeast Asia which are pressed into a hexagonal-shaped briquette with a hollow center. The hollow inside allows for steady airflow and the hexagonal shape allows the charcoal to be stacked neatly for more efficient burning. Ogatan Charcoal can be used on its own or mixed with other charcoal like Binchotan to help the ignition process or with hardwood lump charcoal to add flavor. Ogatan charcoal on its own releases minimal smoke and reaches high temperatures which can burn for hours. A popular choice for many top restaurants, (especially yakitori) in Japan and North America.
Ogatan is first placed in a nearly shut kiln and put through a dehydration process to remove water from the raw lumber. Then, during the carbonization stage, the kiln is slightly opened to allow temperatures to rise to 2,400°F (1,315°C.) Once the impurities have burned off and the smoke has faded, the kiln is then completely sealed shut to finish the burning process. This technique follows the same process as Binchotan manufacturing. The Ogatan is left in the shut kiln for a few days and taken out to be dredged through an extinguishing powder composed of ash, earth and sand to finish the cool-down process. This step gives the charcoal its white shimmer and is also the reason why Binchotan is known as "White Charcoal."
There are several reasons why Ogatan is preferred to regular black charcoal:
1. Affordable and high value charcoal with Binchotan-like qualities.
2. Made from sustainable all-natural fruit-tree wood (no toxins are chemicals are added or released.)
3. Produces little to no smoke and no odor as impurities are already burned off during the carbonization process.
4. Easier to ignite compared to Binchotan.
5. Stays lit for longer than regular charcoal.
6. High Radiant Heat Value. The far infrared rays (and high temperature) that the Binchotan emits leads to faster cooking (reaches deep inside) and the lack of flames mean that drippings will not ignite but rather smoke when they come into contact with the coals, leading to that characteristic grilled flavor.
7. Easily reaches 1832°F (1000°C) when fanned.
8. Adds a subtle and naturally charred characteristic to the food.
9. Briquettes can be extinguished and reused for later use.
Material: Myrtaceae tree wood (Sawdust pressed into briquettes.)
Burning time:3-4 hours for single use or feed every 2 hours for long cooking sessions
Weight: 23 LB (total)
Dimensions: Approximately 7"-9" length, 2" Dia
Lighting the charcoal
It’s best to light the charcoal in a fire starter pot or otherwise over a direct open flame. Off-gassing is most prevalent with charcoal during its ignition there will be open flame, so it’s best not to cook food at this stage to avoid burnt and acrid flavors. Ensuring that the charcoal is completely lit before cooking with it will give the best results.
If you wish to re-use the charcoal, it’s important to extinguish it safely and effectively following use. Smothering in a fire-proof container is the best option, as you want to remove the source of oxygen to stop the combustion. Please don’t douse the coals in water or other liquids as this will saturate the charcoal and you will need to dry it fully before re-lighting.
Return PolicyIf you are not satisfied with items
MTC Kitchen accepts returns of any new and unused item in its original condition for a full refund or an exchange within 30 days of customer receipt. We reserve the right to refuse used or broken items. Please keep the packing slip and include it with the return packages. Without proof of purchase, we are unable to accept any items for return or exchange.
All items marked “Clearance” may not be returned or exchanged.
We do not reimburse shipping charges on returns.
Knives returned will have the shipping cost deducted from the refund total. The return shipment fee depends on your location and the quantity of knives that you're returning. If you would like to know the shipping fee, and estimated refund total, please contact us at email@example.com
If you receive damaged, defective or incorrect items
If we made an error on your order or you received damaged, defective merchandise, please notify customer
service within 48 hours of receipt of shipment.
For items damaged in transit, please send pictures of damaged items and keep the entirety of original items, all packaging and packing materials for future inspection by carrier.
We will replace the items or refund the full amount of the purchase price including the cost of shipping.
Upon receipt of your return or exchange, we will process your request within 3 business days. For returns, please allow up to 2 billing cycles for the refund to appear on your statement. If you would like to expedite the exchange process, please return your original item and place a new order for the item you want.
If you have any questions contact us at 201.806.1897 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST
For Domestic Orders
Every effort will be made to ship your online orders within two business days of purchase. But please understand that we cannot guarantee the delivery date and all orders are subject to product availability. Please contact us for any time-sensitive orders.
- For standard and ground shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday for in-stock items, will be processed within 3 business days.
- For expedited shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday by 11:00 am EST (excluding holidays) for in-stock items, will be processed within the same day or next business day. Orders placed after 11:00 am EST, Saturdays, Sundays or holidays for in-stock items, will be processed within the next or following business day
- * Business Days are Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. We are unable to ship or process orders on Saturdays, Sundays or the following holidays: New Year’s Day (the 2nd is a "Limited Service Day for UPS), Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Holiday, Day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day (the 26th is a "Limited Service Day for UPS) and New Year's Eve. If you have any concerns regarding when your order will arrive, please contact us at 201-806-1827.
We use UPS by ground service as our primary shipper unless you specify otherwise at the time of purchase.
At the time of your purchase, you may choose an expedited UPS shipping method such as Next Day Air or 3 Day Select. In stock orders requesting expedited shipping will be shipped on the same business day if received by 11:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.
We may need to contact you to verify your order and shipping information. Please consider that even expedited shipping services may require additional time to complete the verification process.
We start using UPS SurePost® for small packages to be delivered to residential addresses. This service combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
Unfortunately we do not ship to P.O. Boxes with UPS Ground and UPS Expedited shipments as UPS does not deliver to P.O. Boxes.
BULK ORDER DELIVERY
Please note that if your order's total weight is over 150lbs it will be shipped and priced as a non-palletized shipment using "UPS Ground with Freight Pricing." This shipping service will be applied for deliveries within the contiguous 48 states and does not follow UPS's guaranteed delivery service policy. The lead days for packaging will be 2-4 days. If you need further information for large orders, please contact us at email@example.com or 201-806-1827.