|Takamura HSPS Pro Gyuto |
|This knife comes with a wooden saya (cover) |
|Manufacturer ||Takamura Cutlery |
|Style ||Gyuto |
|Blade Material ||High Speed Powdered Steel (HSPS)* |
|Handle Material ||Resin-Treated Superior Compressed Wood |
|HRC ||63-64 |
|Bevel Angle Ratio ||50/50 |
|Length ||8 1/4" (21cm), 9 1/2" (24cm) |
|Weight ||6.3 oz, 8.1 oz |
|SKU ||#91550, #91529 |
|* Powdered steel is made by using highly specialized technology to mechanically mix iron and other alloying elements in powder form. Powdered metal technology allows much higher amounts of alloying metals such as vanadium, which is responsible for the superior edge retention. While Takamura knives have a high HRC, they are still easy to sharpen because the HSPS core is sandwiched between soft low carbon steel. |This knife has a High Speed Powdered Steel (HSPS) core. High speed steel is the same remarkably hard material used to make drills and power saws that cut through other steel. It is also known as R2, which is a term that was coined by the steel manufacturer while Takamura was testing out different materials. By processing it into powder form, Takamura Cutlery has been able to create a more ductile and flexible product. Takamura knives redefine the meaning of sharpness and offer a taste of what is possible when traditional knife making methods and modern steel making technology are combined harmoniously.
Echizen hammer forged knives are known to have a thick spine but thin edge, and by recreating this classic silhouette with HSPS, Takamura Cutlery has managed to produce exceptionally steady knives that slice through effortlessly.
We have renamed this series as Takamura HSPS Pro to differentiate it from the red handle knives. HSPS Pro has the signature core material, HSPS, but harder outer steel. The handle is made with a more superior wood that is typically not used for knife handles, and is compressed four times more and has double the layers. Takamura Cutlery created the HSPS Pro series with culinary professionals and serious cooks in mind. HSPS provides remarkable edge retention to minimize the frequency of sharpening.
The gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western chef’s knife but the blade is thinner and holds a sharper edge. Use it for chopping, mincing and slicing meat, fish, vegetables and fruit.
* Takamura knives have an unusually sharp edge so if you are not a professional chef or do not have confidence in your knife skills, they may not be suitable for you. Please also keep in mind that this knife is delicate and should not be used for rough tasks. Because this knife has a core metal sandwiched between a different material, changing the bevel angle will alter the structure of the blade and it will lose its sharpness.
Every effort will be made to ship your online orders within two business days of purchase. But please understand that we cannot guarantee the delivery date and all orders are subject to product availability. Please contact us for any time-sensitive orders.
- In stock orders received by 12:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time will be shipped on the same business day (Monday through Friday) for standard and expedited shipping.
- In stock orders received after 12:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time will be shipped on the next business day (Monday through Friday) for standard and expedited shipping.
- In stock orders received on a non-business day including holidays will be shipped on the next business day for standard and expedited shipping.
* For international customers, we only sell to wholesalers and retailers. Please contact our customer service at 201-806-1827 or email@example.com for assistance.
** Applicable sales tax will apply to shipments to addresses located within the states of New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania.
If you are not satisfied with your purchase online, we will accept the return of any new and unused item for exchange or full refund of the purchase price (less the original cost of shipping) within 30 days from the original shipping date. No items that have been opened or used may be returned. No return will be accepted without a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. Please obtain an RMA number from customer service at 201-806-1827 or firstname.lastname@example.org and follow the return procedures.
If you receive a damaged, defective or incorrect item, please notify customer service within 48 hours of receipt of shipment. We will replace the incorrect item or refund the full amount of the purchase price including the cost of shipping. Please read our return policy for more details.
If your shipment gets returned to us after UPS attempts to deliver the package three times, we are not responsible for the cost of shipping the item back to you. We will contact you if this happens and confirm if you would like the package to be shipped again.